April 15, 2017
Aviation Awareness Art Contest
- Students from across Montana are invited to participate in the 2017 MDT Aeronautics Division Aviation Awareness Art Contest. The first-place winners in each grade category, K-5, 6-8, and 9-12, will be flown to Helena, with their parents, on May 5th for the awards ceremony at the State Capitol with Transportation Director, Mike Tooley, followed by a tour of the historic capitol building and lunch on Helena’s Last Chance Gulch. The winning artwork will be matted and framed.
- The contest is open to all students in grades K-12 in public, private, and home schools. The aviation-themed original artwork should be labeled with the student’s name, grade, school, and teacher’s name and phone contact. Entries must be post marked by April 15th, and may be mailed to Art Contest, Aeronautics Division, P.O. Box 200507, Helena, MT 59620-0507.
- Deadline for all submissions is April 15, 2017.
- Awards Ceremony to be held on May 5, 2017.
For more information call our main office at 406-444-2506.
Aviation Career Exploration (ACE) Academy
- The 2017 Aviation Career Exploration Academy for high school students will be conducted in Helena on June 19th and 20th. The two-day resident camp will immerse students in wide ranging aspects of aeronautics that will include flights in general aviation airplanes; a tour of a state-of-the-art aerospace manufacturing facility; a visit to a hangar that is restoring an all-wood airplane from the 1930’s; visits to a static Boeing 727 flight deck, the Army Aviation Helicopter squadron, the cab of an air traffic control tower, and the aviation maintenance technician program at the Helena College. There will be an aerobatic demonstration flight, and demo flights by hang glider and paraglider pilots. Students will have the opportunity to speak with general aviation pilots of float planes, amphibians, and tail draggers at a fly-in at Canyon Ferry airport. The aerodynamics of hot air balloons will be presented in a ground school session and students will serve as ground crew for a tethered balloon inflation. Cost of the academy is $120 and includes all meals and lodging at the Wingate Inn. Contact Harold Dramstad, Safety and Education Bureau Chief for questions at 406-444-9568 or .
- ACE Academy Registration Form
For further information, email or call him at 406-444-9568.
July 23, 2017
Annual St. Ignatius (52S) Huckleberry Pancake fly-in breakfast
St. Ignatius, MT
- The Huckleberry Pancake fly-in breakfast is from 8 a.m. until noon. This free event is sponsored the EAA Chapter 1122.
For more information contact Michael Kuefler, 406-544-2274.
September 8-10, 2017
Search Pilot Clinic
Fort Peck, MT
- The 2017 MDT Aeronautics Search Pilot Clinic will be conducted at the Fort Peck airport, 37S, the weekend of September 8-10th. The purpose of the course is to provide volunteer search pilots and observers the skills necessary to be successful in the Montana Air Search and Rescue system. Ground school will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday and cover Air Search and Rescue Organization, How to Fly Search Patterns, and Use of Mobile Devices in Air Search. Each student will receive about 3 hours of dual instruction from well-qualified, high-time CFIs in Cessna 182 and 206 airplanes in flights on Saturday and Sunday. Field exercises in the use of direction finding equipment and survival skills will be conducted when students are not taking flight instruction. Cost of the course is $140, or $70 for the ground portion only.
- Search Pilot Clinic Registration Form
For more information or call him at 406-444-9568.