Watch for Wildlife!
Mating season, seasonal migration, and fewer daylight hours increase the odds for collisions with Montana wildlife. Most collisions occur at dawn and dusk.
To avoid a collision
- Disengage cruise control at dawn and dusk.
- Use high beams when there is no oncoming traffic
- Buckle up, drive sober and alert.
- Look far ahead
- Scan roadsides and ditches for approaching animals
- Pay special attention to areas around wildlife crossing signs
- Where there is one animal, expect more to emerge.
- Don't swerve! Slow and brake to avoid impact.
- Don't approach or touch a wounded animal. Call law enforcement, MHP at 855-MHP-3777, or the FWP warden.