Montana is very fortunate to have many generous individuals and organizations that believe in promoting aviation by offering monetary assistance to qualified persons. The Aeronautics Division assists in administering some of these scholarships and encourages participation. The scholarships are offered to Montanans to help defray costs of education (i.e., flight instruction, A&P, etc.) and will be presented during the 2014 Montana Aviation Conference in Billings.
- A Love of Aviation (ALOA) Scholarship
- An anonymous donor established this scholarship of $250 in 1997 in 2010 two more anonymous donors contributed an additional $250 each creating a $750 scholarship.
- AOM Flight Training Scholarship
- AAOM has established this $500 scholarship to financially assist a student pilot in obtaining their private pilot certificate.
- Blue Goose First Generation Flight Scholarship
- This $500 scholarship is awarded to a first generation pilot to assist with flight training. This scholarship is designed to assist a person who has a love of aviation, yet had limited exposure to aviation, someone from a non-aviation background/family.
- EAA Missoula Chapter 517 Scholarship
- EAA Chapter 517 in Missoula has established a $1,000 scholarship. This $1,000 Aviation Career Scholarship will be available to a Montana resident to pursue one of the following: Post–solo flight training; a second year of A&P training; other aviation career training.
- Edwards Jet Center Scholarship
- Edwards Jet Center a full-service fixed based operator and Part 135 charter operator based at Logan International Airport in Billings is offering a $500 scholarship to help defray the costs of flight instruction.
- Montana Antique Aircraft Association (MAAA) Scholarships
- MAAA is offering a $1,000 scholarship to help defray the costs of flight instruction.
- MPA Air Safety and Education Foundation (MPA ASEF) Flight Training Scholarship
- This $1000 scholarship is open to an active pilot who has considerable interest in aviation and is seeking advanced flight training or a pursuing a profession in aviation. Applicant must be a Montana resident.
- Montana Pilots Association (MPA) Junior Pilot Scholarship
- The recipient of this $1000 scholarship is chosen for outstanding interest in aviation, citizenship in their community and demonstrated academic achievement. The recipient must be a Montana resident and previously soloed. Preference is given to younger applicants who are new pilots or pursuing a profession in aviation.
- Parrott Family Scholarship
- The Parrott Family offers this $1,000 scholarship to be used over a one-year period for pilot training programs for students enrolled in the Rocky Mountain College (RMC) aviation program. The funds may be used for tuition in the RMC aviation program, and/or flight training expenses leading to a Private, Commercial, or Flight Instructor Certificate, and may include Instrument and Multiengine simulator training, and the purchase of aviation related materials and related supplies.
- Theresa (Nistler) Colley Scholarship
- Mountain AirDance Flight Training (Jeanne MacPherson and Bill Gallea) and Vetter Aviation (Brent and Rosie Vetter) offer this $1000 scholarship in memory of Theresa (Nistler) Colley who passed away from Leukemia (AML) in February, 2012. Theresa loved flying and was working toward her private pilot certificate. This scholarship will be awarded to a student pilot who is working on getting their private pilot rating.
How to Apply
Awarding of the scholarships are based on a letter explaining the reasons for applying; future career goals; past aviation experience; (if any); and outstanding achievements.
The same letter can be used but applicant must submit one copy addressed to each individual scholarship.
Each letter must include your mailing address and daytime phone number.
If you are awarded a scholarship, your photo will appear in the 2014 Montana Aviation Conference Program. Please include a photo with your letter of interest for this purpose (only one photo is necessary).
Letters must be postmarked on or before January 6, 2014.
Mail your letters to:
Montana Aeronautics Division
PO Box 200507
Helena, MT 59620-0507
Call 406-444-2506 for more information.