Know Before You Go!
The Montana Department of Transportation is making it easier to be prepared for holiday travel and winter roads with a mobile application that provides road conditions, weather, incidents, and highway closures. The app works on Androids and smart phones. It can be downloaded at Go Mobile - Travel Info or downloaded for free from the app store.
MDT also provides road conditions by calling 511 or going online at mdt511.com. Knowing road conditions in advance can be helpful in making travel plans. Remote cameras are located throughout the state and roadway images can be viewed online and through the mobile app.
Road conditions are reported based on first hand observations by MDT’s experienced plow drivers and are updated as conditions change. Weather and road conditions change rapidly so motorists should use caution and be prepared.
Motorists are also reminded of the following:
- Don’t crowd the plow. The front plow extends several feet in front of the truck and may cross the centerline and shoulders during plowing operations.
- Don’t tailgate snowplows. Snowplows are usually spreading deicing materials from the back of the truck and may need to stop quickly. If you find yourself behind a snowplow, stay behind it or use caution when passing.
- Snowplows travel slower than the posted speeds while removing snow and ice from the roads. When you spot a plow, allow plenty of time to slow down.
- A snowplow operator’s field of vision is restricted. Don’t travel alongside a plow for long periods of time.
- Turn off cruise control in the winter.
- Drive with headlights on.
- Expect ice or frost on bridge decks and shaded areas.
- No matter the season have a sober driver and always buckle up.