Employment : Quick Tour : In the Air
MDT is also involved with air travel. Our Aeronautics Division staff
- inspect all public-use airports
- provide capital planning, engineering and financial assistance to public-use airports
- operate 15 state-owned, public use airports, including West Yellowstone
- maintain many state-owned navigational beacons, air-to-ground radios, and nighttime airway beacons
- administer the loan and grant program for airport development and improvement projects
The Aeronautics Board, a nine-member advisory board appointed by the governor, oversees spending of all airport grant and loan funds.
MDT provides a critical link with the Essential Air Service (EAS) program, International Northwest Aviation Council, the National Association of State Aviation Officials, and all members of Montana aviation organizations.
Safety & Education
MDT is responsible for registering Montana's pilots and aircraft. We also oversee and promote air search and rescue operations and aviation safety and education.