The Bridge Management Section is responsible for the inspection, operation and reactive maintenance of the state system bridges and provide guidance for local agencies. This includes:
- In-Service Bridge Inspection. The Section has responsibility for overseeing a program of regular condition inspections of all in-service publicly owned bridges in accordance with the National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS) and operation of the Structure Management System (BrM) database that is used to track and report system-wide conditions and perform analysis that supports bridge funding decisions.
- Load Rating. Engineers perform analysis and load rating to determine safe operation and for all publicly owned in-services bridges. Load Rating Engineers will recommend load posting, restriction or closures for deficient bridges.
- Overweight Vehicle Permitting. Permitting Engineers determine safe operating conditions for overweight trucks using the states' transportation system. Overweight truck configurations are analyzed to determine if they can safely cross a bridge without causing damage. Engineers provide recommendations to MDT Motor Carrier Services on overweight truck routes and permits.
- Bridge Maintenance. Bridge Maintenance Engineers perform or develop contracts for structural repairs to bridges on the state system. They offer guidance to MDT District Maintenance and Local Agencies for routine maintenance and technical assistance.
Montana’s Bridge Structure Management System (BrM) is used to track and report system-wide conditions and perform analysis that supports bridge funding decisions.
- To protect safety of the traveling public by identifying bridges with limited capacities and determining safe posting limits
- To help in the prioritization of rehabilitation or replacement projects
- To assist in overweight vehicle permit review
- To satisfy federal requirements that all bridges in the National Bridge Inventory (NBI) must be load rated and restricted, if necessary
Login to the Bridge Structure Management System (BrM)
Navigation Demo video
Okta and Requesting Additional Access
Assignments for Managers
Create New Structure
Inspection Condition Data Entry
Inspection Appraisal, Inventory, Schedule, Multimedia, Procedures, Equipment, and Mapping
Underwater and Crossections
External User Access
Scheduling Assignments for Managers
Creating and Updating Roadways
Underwater Inspections and Cross Sections