We would argue that Montana is the most beautiful state in the United States. How many people can say that they are a few hours, or even mere minutes, from the most stunning scenery in the world, no matter where they are in the state?
But our state's great beauty is a constant project alongside our roads - unknown to motorists, things fly out of their vehicles and litter nearby ditches. It is up to us to volunteer to keep Montana gorgeous.
Guard, protect and cherish your land, for there is no afterlife for a place that started out as Heaven.-Charles M. Russell
Benefits for Our State
Traffic Safety - Highway trash can pose a traffic hazard, especially items that blow onto the highway. Keep our roads safe!
Wildlife Safety - Highway litter can injure wildlife, especially small animals that may get trapped in plastic or try to consume it. Keep our wildlife safe!
Environmental Safety - Highway litter can post an environmental hazard, especially chemicals that can leak into soil or water as their containers decompose. Keep our environment healthy!
Attractive Environment - Highway litter can be unsightly. Keep Montana Beautiful!
What’s the difference between Adopt A Highway and Sponsor A Highway?
Adopt : Businesses and Individuals can adopt a section of a highway and volunteer to maintain two miles both directions.
Sponsor : Businesses and Individuals sponsor a contractor to do the maintenance on a one mile section of a highway on their behalf.
Both options include a sign with the Business or Individual’s name and/or logo installed at the beginning and end of the adopted/sponsored section of highway.
Sponsor A Highway Program Details
Who should Sponsor?
Typically, private businesses sponsor, however, like the Adopt-A-Highway program individuals, families, organizations, businesses of any size, non-profit organizations, religious groups, schools. For more information:
Adopt A Highway® | Sponsor A Highway® | Build Brand Awareness
- You or your group select an available 1 mile section of highway from the map below.
- You or your group commit to a 2 year sponsorship.
- Contact Adopt A Highway® Maintenance Corporation via this link:
Montana Sponsor A Highway | Adopt A Highway
Adopt-A-Highway Program Details
Who should adopt?
Individuals, families, organizations, business large and small, non-profit organizations, religious groups, schools.. Everyone can take pride in the beautiful state of Montana!
- You or your group adopt a 2 mile section of highway for 2 years.
- The Volunteer Group or Volunteer signs Agreement with the MDT.
- The Volunteer Group or Volunteer agrees to pick up trash two (2) times per year.
- MDT will loan you safety vests and bags for your cleanup efforts.
- MDT will get a sign posted with your name on it at your adopted stretch of highway.
- You or your group gets to be proud of your efforts to keep Montana beautiful!
How to Adopt
- Find the route of unadopted road on our Adopt-A-Highway Interactive Map
- Contact the Area Coordinator listed with any questions
- Complete the application and sign the agreement (see Forms).
Find your area coordinator:
Maintenance Division: 11 Missoula
2100 W. Broadway
Missoula, MT 59807-7039
Maintenance Division: 12 Kalispell
85 5th Ave. East North
Kalispell, MT 59904-0308
Maintenance Division: 21 Butte
Butte, MT 59702-3068
- Anaconda/Deer Lodge
- Lewis & Clark (Helena area)
- Silver Bow
Maintenance Division: 22 Bozeman
100 Nelson Rd
PO Box 3028
Bozeman, MT 59772-3028
Maintenance Division: 31 Great Falls
Great Falls Office
200 Smelter Avenue NE
PO Box 1359
Great Falls, MT 59403-1359
- Judith Basin (west of Geyser)
- Lewis & Clark (north of Sieben Flats)
- Powell (Helmville area)
Maintenance Division: 32 Havre
1649 Highway 2 NW
Havre, MT 59501-3455
- Chouteau (North of Loma)
- Teton (North East of Pendroy)
- Flathead (From Devil's Creek East)
Maintenance Division: 42 Wolf Point
Wolf Point Office
200 E Highway 25
Wolf Point, MT 59201-9001
Maintenance Division: 43 Miles City
Miles City Office
217 N 4th
Miles City, MT 59301
- Powder River
Maintenance Division: 51 Billings
424 Morey St
Billings, MT 59104-0437
- Sweet Grass
- Big Horn
Maintenance Division: 53 Lewistown
50 Airport Rd
Lewistown, MT 59457
- Judith Basin
- Golden Valley
Map of Adopted and Available Highways
Click any line mile segment for additional information about that stretch of road.
Please note the following information when choosing an adoptable area of the map as this will be need to fill out the application. (A window with this information will pop up when you click the road you would like to adopt on the map below):
- Signed Route
- Beginning MP
- Ending MP