Every time you put fuel in your vehicle, motorcycle, truck or airplane, the price per gallon of fuel includes fuel taxes. Those taxes are collected and remitted to the state of Montana. The monies are used to support and maintain a safe transportation system across Montana.

Road & Bridge Funding in Montana

Montana's roads & bridges are mainly funded through a combination of federal (88.5%) and state/local (11.5%) funding sources. MDT receives no funding from Montana's general fund revenue.

Federal road & bridge revenues are generated from the users of our highways through gasoline and diesel fuel taxes and apportioned to states through federal highway legislation. State road & bridge revenues are generated through fuel taxes, gross vehicle weight fees, and other related fees.


Report Fuel Tax Evasion

1-888-383-5529 (1 888 FUEL LAW)

Fuel Tax Refunds

Applications & Assistance

406-444-6030 | Email

Audit Services

406-444-7609 | Email

Montana Fuel Tax Information

Alcohol Tax Incentive, Biodiesel Tax Information, Contractors, Distributor Reporting, Distributor Licensing & Bonding, General Fuel Tax Questions, Fuel Tax Laws, and Fuel Tax Legislation

   406-444-0806 | Email

For Appeals, please call:

   406-444-7276 | Email

Dyed Fuel Toll-free Tip Line

   1-888-383-5529 | Email

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

Licensing - Motor Carrier Services, 406-444-2998

Reporting - Fiscal Operations Bureau, Motor Fuel Section, 406-444-7664 | Email