The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) is updating the State's Freight Plan (Plan).
The Plan, first completed in 2017, provides guidance for both short- and long-term freight related transportation investments with a focus on improving the condition and performance of the national freight network.
Safe and efficient movement of freight is vital to the health of Montana's economy. The Montana Freight Plan update will:
- Communicate how freight contributes to Montana's economy
- Identify significant freight infrastructure and system issues in Montana
- Recommend strategies for improvement,
- Guide freight‐related transportation investment decisions, and
- Recommend effective freight investment projects.
The Plan Update will be developed in accordance with 49 USC 70202: State Freight Plan, the Fixing America's Surface Transportation Act (FAST Act) and in coordination with MDT's long range multi-modal plan, TranPlanMT.
While MDT encourages comments at any time as freight related issues arise, the Plan update presents an opportunity for targeted outreach on this topic to better understand needs and concerns from the perspective of freight stakeholders and interested members of the public.