North 7th Ave & Griffin Drive - Bozeman
Increased traffic at the intersection of North 7th Avenue and Griffin Drive is causing substantial congestion and delay.
The primary goals of this project are:
- Increase safety
- Reduce congestion
- Construct lasting improvements
- Reduce maintenance
- Construct sidewalks and bike paths to create connectivity with existing facilities
- Minimize impacts to adjacent property
Overview Map showing proposed intersection improvements
Reduce congestion by:
- Widening Griffin Drive and adding a left-turn lane at the intersection. This will create dual left-turn lanes heading south towards I-90.
- Widening Mandeville Lane to create an additional lane at the intersection.
- Widening North 7th Avenue to provide three northbound and southbound lanes at the intersection including left-turn lanes, and right-turn and through lanes.
Reduce maintenance by:
- Using concrete pavement instead of asphalt for most of the project. Concrete pavement is more durable and needs less maintenance than asphalt.
- Constructing boulevard using stamped brick-red concrete rather than grass. Boulevard is the buffer between the sidewalk or bike path and the road.
Construct bicycle and pedestrian facilities including:
- Modern pedestrian crosswalks including push buttons with audio for pedestrian crossing signal
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant sidewalk ramps
- Continuous 5 to 6-foot wide sidewalk on both sides of North 7th Avenue and Mandeville Lane
- Continuous 10-foot wide bike path (for both pedestrians and bicyclists) along both sides of Griffin Drive
- 4 to 6-foot wide shoulders along North 7th Avenue
- Safety railing on edge of the bike/pedestrian facility, where required
Minimize impacts to adjacent property by:
- Constructing within existing right-of-way by using retaining wall, where required
- Developing a construction zone sequencing plan to minimize impacts to businesses
The following are photos of the proposed roadway cross sections of the different legs of the intersection. The cross-section name (such as Section A-A) corresponds with the location and direction on the Overview Map above.