The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) and engineering firm Sanderson Stewart are in the final stages of designing the Red Lodge – Robinson to Two Mile project, which will reconstruct almost one and a half miles of US Highway 212 (US 212) from just south of Robinson Lane to just north of Two Mile Bridge Road in Red Lodge.
Improvements planned for the project include:
- 12-foot-wide northbound and southbound travel lanes.
- A 14-foot-wide two-way left-turn lane.
- Six-foot-wide paved shoulders on both sides of the highway.
- Single-lane roundabout at the intersection of US 212 with Two Mile Bridge Road.
- Construction of a new shared-use path and sidewalk:
- Construction of a new five-foot-wide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant concrete sidewalk along the west side of the highway connecting the existing sidewalk at the project's south end to Red Lodge Auto Repair and Tire.
- Construction of a new eight-foot-wide paved shared-use path along the west side of the highway connecting the proposed sidewalk to the south (with concrete and paved driveway approaches and some short segments of concrete sidewalk), to the existing sidewalk adjacent to the Beartooth Billings Clinic.
- The new roundabout at the intersection of US 212 with Two Mile Bridge Road will also include short segments of concrete sidewalk and paved shared-use path that will tie in with the proposed and existing sidewalk and shared-use path. (See exhibit below.)
- Curb and gutter on both sides of the highway south of Red Lodge Ales and near the planned roundabout at Two Mile Bridge Road.
- Street lighting south of Red Lodge Ales and around the planned roundabout at Two Mile Bridge Road.
- Landscaping along the highway and around the roundabout.
- Stormwater drainage improvements.
A construction date has not yet been determined for the project. A date will be determined once the necessary right-of-way has been acquired and funding becomes available. Project scheduling, contractor availability, economic conditions, and other unforeseen factors can also impact this timeline.
An open house will be scheduled before construction, where project plans and the scope of work will be shared. During the open house, the community will have the opportunity to ask questions directly to the project team.
The Red Lodge - Robinson to Two Mile project is part of a larger US 212 corridor reconstruction effort. Residents may be familiar with the Roberts project, which was constructed in 2020. Two additional sections remain, including the US 212 – Red Lodge to Roberts project, which extends nearly 10 miles between the towns of Red Lodge and Roberts, from just north of Two Mile Bridge Road to a half-mile outside of Roberts, near West Bench Road, and the US 212 – Roberts to Boyd project, which includes an eight-mile stretch between Roberts and Boyd. Both projects are currently in the design phase, and construction dates have not been determined.
The public is encouraged to reach out with thoughts and questions by calling the project hotline at 406-207-4484, operating Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or by emailing