The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) will enhance roadway safety features and traffic flow on the Zoo Drive corridor, between Shiloh Road and South Frontage Road in Billings through the Zoo Drive Improvements project. The proposed project also includes work on Gabel Road, near Hampton Inn and Suites, to accommodate an additional southbound left-turn lane from Gabel Road onto Zoo Drive, toward Interstate 90 (I 90).
Specific improvements are planned to include:
- Widening and reconfiguring Zoo Drive to a five-lane roadway with two lanes in each direction and a center turn-lane.
- Intersection improvements.
- Pavement marking modifications.
- Traffic signal upgrades.
- Median modifications.
- Additional connectivity for pedestrians.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) upgrades.
- Partially widening the eastbound I 90 ramps.
This project is currently in the planning and design phase. MDT anticipates opening the project for contractor bids in the spring of 2025. Construction is expected to begin in 2025.