MDT Bridge Inspection
Montana Structure Management System (SMS)
Montana’s Structure Management System is used to track and report system-wide conditions and perform analysis that supports bridge funding decisions. To request access to SMS, go to the following link, create or login to an ePass Montana account, then click on "Connect SMS (Public Access)" If you need access to plans or to enter inspections, fill out the access request form instead of clicking on "Connect SMS (Public Access)" For assistance with access and using the application see the MDT Structure Management Tutorial.
- To protect safety of the traveling public by identifying bridges with limited capacities and determining safe posting limits
- To help in the prioritization of rehabilitation or replacement projects
- To assist in overweight vehicle permit review
- To satisfy federal requirements that all bridges in the National Bridge Inventory (NBI) must be load rated and restricted, if necessary
Your initial access to the Structure Management System is a two-step process:
- To begin, you must have an ePass Montana account to use the Structure Management System.
- Once your ePass account is established, use it to log on through this site. At this point you can connect to SMS with read-only access or request advanced permissions.