The Montana Department of Transportation is improving traffic operations and safety features for the Lincoln Road corridor from North Montana Avenue through the Interstate 15 Lincoln Road interchange. The project is located approximately six miles north of Helena.
Construction began on the project in April 2022. Work was substantially completed in Fall 2022.
Lincoln Montana to I-15 project map.
Work completed in 2022 includes:
- Constructed roundabout at the intersection of Lincoln Road and Montana Avenue
- Constructed a teardrop roundabout at the intersection of the I 15 northbound on- and off-ramps and Lincoln Road
- Reconstructed roadway at the roundabout approaches
- Constructed a new merge lane at the I 15 southbound on-ramp
- Constructed an eastbound right-turn bypass lane from Lincoln Road onto the southbound I 15 on-ramp
Crews will return in 2023 to complete additional work. That work includes a seal and cover (chip seal), applying final pavement markings and other miscellaneous tasks.
Lincoln Montana to I-15 project roundabout before and after.
What to expect during construction
- An 11-foot width restriction is in place on Lincoln Road and the I 15 Lincoln Road interchange (Exit 200) ramps
- Speed limits are reduced
- Flaggers will direct motorists through the work zone
- Expect up to 15-minute delays at times through the work zone
- Be prepared for traffic signals and speed limits to change at times
- Access to Jim Darcy Elementary School and local businesses will be maintained