The Montana Department of Transportation is designing safety improvements for the Applegate Drive and Lincoln Road intersection. The purpose of the project is to improve safety and traffic operations at the intersection. MDT evaluated several options for improving the intersection including traffic signals and a four-way stop. Based on statewide safety data, a traffic analysis, and input from the community, MDT determined that the intersection would benefit most from a roundabout design. The new roundabout will improve safety and operations at this intersection.
Based on statewide safety data, a traffic analysis, and input from the community, MDT determined that the intersection would benefit most from a single-lane roundabout design.
The single-lane roundabout design plans include:
- 12-foot travel lanes and 4-foot shoulders.
- A 18-foot wide “truck apron” which is a slightly raised surface that allows large trucks to make turns.
- Pedestrian crossings.
- LED lighting, curb, gutters and no-maintenance landscaping in the center median.
- Concrete pavement throughout the intersection.
- A 15-mph design speed entering the roundabout.