Rarus Silverbow Creek Structure Improvements
The Rarus Silver Bow Creek Structures project (near City Center exit) is continuing to replace and upgrade four bridges on Interstate 15/90 west of Butte. Two bridges are being replaced each construction season over the next two years. Improvements to each will require replacement to widen the bridges and shoulders to improve safety for all travelers.
The project began in April of 2018 and will be complete in Summer of 2020.
Currently, normal traffic flow is expected to be returned to I-15/90 around mid-December.
Impacts to the Public
While construction is active, travelers can expect reduced speeds, single lane traffic, and should plan for extra travel time in the area.
In regard to the bridges, travelers can currently expect to see:
- placement of the bridge decks (surfaces);
- Concrete barrier placement;
- Steel girder placement and bolting (construction); and
- placement of bridge decks in mid to late November.
Roadway construction efforts are underway and will include:
- Surfacing activities;
- Paving near City Center Exit to begin in early November; and
- Continued paving efforts into early December.
Concrete, paving and surfacing efforts take time to set and cure, so the public may see open areas of roadway remain closed to the public until requirements for safe travel are met.
Other construction activities taking place could include:
- Pavement (i.e., traffic and lane) marking/painting in mid-December;
- Continued restricted speed limits of 35 mph across existing bridges;
- Additional traffic control devices (e.g., markers, signs, signals) to increase nighttime visibility of devices;
- Motorists should expect increased Montana Highway Patrol enforcement presence to ensure the safety of the travelling public and;
- Future construction efforts to continue in mid-April 2019.
For the most up-to-date travel information be sure to check: MDT Travel Conditions (look for I-15 - Mile Marker 123 to 126.5).
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
We want to hear from you! with any questions or thoughts you may have!