West Laurel Interchange
MDT is improving the outdated West Laurel Interchange with the first phase of construction happening between 2017-2020. 1.2 miles of I 90 will be rebuilt to current day standards and the two bridges carrying traffic over MRL rail lines and Railroad Street will be realigned and replaced with modern, steel structures. When complete, both new bridges will have wider shoulders, 12 foot passing and driving lanes, and the curves will be gentler to help reduce the high number of crashes that occur on the curving and sloped bridges. Phase 2 will rebuild four interchange ramps (for full access to and from I 90) and will rebuild 19th Avenue West between I 90 and Old Highway 10/Golf Course Road.
Construction Information Hotline
Update 22 November 2019: During the Thanksgiving holiday, the Montana Department of Transportation reminds travelers of the construction taking place at the West Laurel Interchange. MDT takes resident and visitor safety seriously and advises extra caution during the holiday. Last week traffic resumed normal operations on the eastbound and westbound lanes of I 90 and the new bridges. This concludes construction of Phase 1 until next year when the new pavement on I 90 will be chip sealed. Phase II construction is proceeding on schedule with work continuing on the new 19th Ave West bridge and access ramps. All construction will stop by noon on Wednesday, November 27 and resume on Monday, December 2.
The contract specified four construction phases, which are described below with approximate construction dates are:
Phase 1 | Fall 2017-Fall 2018
- Construction Phase 1 (Completed) constructed the I 90, eastbound bridge & approaches outside of existing traveled way. The existing eastbound off-ramp and westbound on-ramps were permanently closed. Embankments for the new bridges were constructed off to the side of the current roadway and were surcharged to allow for settlements in the poor soils.
- Construction Phase 2 (Completed) built the median crossovers to shift all I 90 traffic onto the existing eastbound bridge. Traffic was narrowed to single-lane travel in each direction and shifted onto the eastbound bridge/road, the new westbound lanes were built on a new, less curvy alignment to the west of the bridges.
- Construction Phase 3 (Completed) will shift single-lane I 90 traffic onto the westbound bridge and the new eastbound road connections. This includes removal of surcharge for the new eastbound roads and bridge. The new eastbound bridge and road will be completed during this Phase.
Phase 1 Work Stoppage | Late Fall 2018 through Spring 2019
- Winter Stop Work (Completed): Because MDT requires four lanes of I 90 travel during winter (non-construction) conditions, traffic was restored to two lanes in each direction for the winter of 2018/19. Eastbound drivers used two-lanes on the new bridge while westbound drivers remained on the existing bridge with two-lanes of travel.
Phase 1 | Spring-Summer-Fall 2019
- • Construction Phase 4 will construct the new I 90, westbound bridge by narrowing I 90 to one lane in each direction, shifting traffic onto the new eastbound bridge and road. This work began in March and will continue through November 15, 2019.
Phase 2 | Summer 2019 -Summer 2020: Phase 2 will construct the ramps of the compressed diamond interchange and the bridge over I 90 and realign 19th Avenue West and other street improvements.
This project has the following MDT parameters: West Laurel Intch-West Design Phase 2 IM 90-8 (166)432 UPN 5736003