Buckle Up: In Montana, It's the Law
Federal law requires commercial drivers to buckle up.
Primary seatbelt law in Montana?
Buckling up is the law in Montana however, law enforcement can only cite a driver for non use if the individual has been stopped for another traffic violation. Primary seat belt laws allow law enforcement officers to pull over drivers and ticket them for not wearing their seatbelts.
- Primary Seat Belt Law Fact Sheet
- Occupant Protection Law Enforcement Presentation
- The Case for Upgrading Laws
- Buckle Up: Restraint Use in Montana
- Fatality Facts - Roadway and Environment
- NTSB 2016 Most Wanted List - Strengthen Occupant Protection
No other traffic law change has the potential to save as many lives. In Montana, the passage of a primary seat belt law could save 20 to 30 lives each year.
Getting a ticket saved her life
Length: 00:01:11 | More videos
Ignoring Montana's seat belt law costs taxpayers millions
Occupants who choose not to wear a seat belt are much more likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash, and the health care costs of injury have a significant economic impact on both the state of Montana and its residents. We all pay the price.
Get the facts:
Missing - Have you seen these highway safety laws?