The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), signed into law on November 15, 2021, reauthorizes federal surface transportation programs for the next five years. This is a historic opportunity to repair one-in-five miles of our roadways and more than 45,000 bridges in the United States. IIJA includes funding to rebuild and reinvest in our railways, public transit infrastructure, and the safety of our transportation system and invest billions in transformational projects that will create good-paying union jobs, grow the economy, and make our transportation system safer and more resilient.
In addition to the continuation of formula funding programs, IIJA provides funding through a wide range of competitive grant programs. Opportunities to apply for the grant programs are noticed by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) through Notice of Funding Opportunities (NOFO). The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) aims to package grant applications to leverage federal funding to advance the delivery of projects that align with the department’s Mission, Vision, and Goals. This webpage will be updated as NOFOs are issued, and application packets are developed.
Request MDT Support
If your agency is interested in applying for a grant opportunity and is requesting MDT support, please complete the MDT Grant Support Request Form.
This form should be submitted a minimum of 3 weeks in advance of the grant application deadline to allow MDT adequate time to respond.
MDT submitted applications for the FY 2022 and FY 2023 grant opportunities listed below. Please click on the opportunity for more information.
- Bridge Investment Program (BIP)
- National Infrastructure Project Assistance (MEGA under Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Opportunity [MPDG])
- Nationally Significant Multimodal Freight and Highways Projects (INFRA under Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Opportunity [MPDG])
- Railroad Crossing Elimination (RCE)
- Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity Grant (RAISE)
- Rural Surface Transportation Grant (Rural under Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Opportunity [MPDG])
- Strengthening Mobility and Revolutionizing Transportation (SMART)
For a comprehensive list of transportation federal grant opportunities, please visit the U.S. DOT funding opportunities webpage.