All first-time applicants for a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must first apply for a Commercial Learner Permit and must pass the vision and written tests and present a valid medical examiner's certificate (MEC) (formerly known as a DOT card). All applicants must be able to provide the following for a CDL:

  • Proof of Authorized Presence
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Montana Residence
  • To apply for an Intrastate license, you must meet the Montana qualifications and be at least 18 years old
  • To apply for an Interstate license, you must be at least 21 years old

At the time of obtaining your Commercial Learners Permit if you cannot meet any of the above, please do not register. Questions regarding CDL license eligibility can be directed to the CDL Help Desk at (406) 444-3244 or on the Motor Vehicle Division website:

For additional information about Commercial Driver Licensing please visit FMCSA’s website at:

Another resource to use can be found here: 10 Easy Steps to a CDL

For information from FMCSA on ELDT, please visit:

Interested in obtaining a CDL? Remember you must have the Entry Level Driver’s Training courses, below is a list of entities that offer the programs for Entry Level Driver’s Training:
Training Provider Registry (

If you would like to sign up for ELDT through MDT use the following link: ELDT Registration