Heavy Vehicle Highway Use Tax (HVUT) /IRS Form 2290
Federal regulations require all states to verify payment of, or exemption from the tax before issuing or renewing vehicle registrations. Before a vehicle is registered, the owner must provide proof the IRS Form 2290 has been filed. This is done at the time of licensing at the county or in MCS when registering under the IRP.
MCS is also now requesting that IRS Form 2290 be provided at the time of issuance of a GVW Fee Permit when the weight is at 55,000 lbs or greater.
Visit our document on how to how to upload an IRS HVUT-Form 2290 and/or a County Registration in the ePART GVW Web Processing.
Acceptable formats of the IRS Form 2290
- Acceptable IRS Form 2290’s / HVUT has the IRS Watermark on it.
- If the user does not have the IRS Watermark on their Form 2290, then a copy of the IRS Form 2290 along with the payment receipt or a copy of the cancelled check needs to be submitted.
- A copy of the IRS Form 2290 with a manual stamp if it was not e-filed.
Want to learn more about the HVUT – Form 2290?
Need to e-file your IRS Form 2290?
- Visit the e-file Form 2290 Page
- Choose a Payment Option
- You must already have an account to e-file, or you may enroll to get an account set-up.
- - NEW. Pay Your Taxes by Credit or Debit Card. You can pay by internet, phone or mobile device.
- - Electronic Funds Withdrawal. You can authorize a direct debit as part of the e-file process.
- - Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). You must be pre-enrolled; be sure to allow 5-7 business days to get enrolled for a new account.
If you are not e-filing, a list of the approved IRS e-file providers for HVUT can be found at the link below.
This site linked below is for the FAQs for Truckers Who e-file
This site link below is for general information regarding the IRS Form 2290