ARS Update, Permits, Fees, GVW Fee Permits, Montana Winter Weight Permit, Route (Road Conditions/Map), FMCSA, Forms, Pilot Cars & Bridge System

Permits – Single Trip and Automated Routing (ARS)

A change to how Single Trip Permits in ePART are being issued.

  • How routing is performed.
  • Dimensions are now required.

What to watch for:

Web Browsers that are acceptable are Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.

Please see our ePART Helpful Tips for further assistance with Pop-Up Blocker's, Adobe, and various other items regarding ePART.

The ARS User Guide is available to help assist users through this process.

The ARS Bid-Route System can be used for checking routes prior to ordering a Montana Oversize/Overweight permit. The system will check for height structures, current construction projects, incidents, etc. Please note that these routes are subject to change.
For further information please see the ARS Bid-Route User Guide.

Permits for Commercial Motor Carriers

If you’re transporting a load or have equipment that exceeds the legal width, length, height, or weight, a permit is required. A temporary fuel or licensing permit may also be needed if you are not registered in Montana.

Permits can now be ordered easily online through our MT ePART application. Use the following links to:

Permits can also be ordered by calling 406-444-7262. We're open 7:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).

Access the permit regulations here.


If you do not license under IRP and register your truck at the Montana county in which you live, you may pay Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW fees) at the county when you license. Alternatively, these fees may be purchased from the Motor Carrier Services office in Helena, at one of our weigh stations, or from any MCS patrol officer.

You can pay GVW fees for a single month, multiple months, or a full year if you take advantage of an annual-term permit. These options are listed on the GVW Fees Chart at 100% and GVW Farm Fees Chart at 35%.

GVW Fee Permits

GVW Fee Permits - MCS has recently made an update to the way that this type of permit is processed through in ePART. If a carrier / third-party is issuing a permit for 55,000 lbs or higher, a current IRS Form 2290/HVUT must be submitted before the permit will be finalized.

Please see our HVUT web page for further information on the requirements; and for how to upload an IRS HVUT-Form 2290 and/or a County Registration in the ePART GVW Web Processing.

As a MT resident, you can continue to get your GVW Fee Permits through MDT, or you may go to your county registrar's office.

Montana Winter Weight Permit

More information can be found on the Montana Winter Weight Permit.

A reminder to check your route

When you begin issuing your own permits, it is important to remember your responsibility to check construction reports and load-speed restrictions to verify that the route you plan to take does not have unanticipated restrictions.

Check Road Conditions | Montana Road Report Map

Is your federal information up-to-date?

To avoid unnecessary delays with MCS, please make sure that your information on the FMCSA Motor Carrier Unified Registration System is current. MCS does reference this information when a new account is set-up; and/or periodically as needed. Discrepancies between information provided to MCS and what shows up in the federal system, will slow down MCS processes.

If your business has changed its Company Name, USDOT number, TIN (Tax Identification number), and/or mailing or physical address, please make sure to update your forms on the FMCSA site. After this has been completed, please notify MCS at 406-444-6130 so that MCS can keep your account information updated on our MCS systems.


For permitting forms, please see our forms page.

Pilot Car Information

Pilot Car Escort Vehicle training publications, including best practices guidelines, best practices for law enforcement, a study guide, training manual, and PowerPoint slides, all of which may be accessed at FHWA Freight Management and Operations, scroll to the Pilot/Escort Vehicle Operators section.

The best practices guidelines document summarizes the material found in the 2016 Pilot/Escort Vehicle Operators (P/EVOs) Training Manual.

Bridge Structure Management System (BrM)

Montana's Bridge Structure Management System (BrM) is used to track and report system-wide conditions and perform analysis that supports bridge funding decisions.

  • To protect safety of the traveling public by identifying bridges with limited capacities and determining safe posting limits
  • To help in the prioritization of rehabilitation or replacement projects
  • To assist in overweight vehicle permit review
  • To satisfy federal requirements that all bridges in the National Bridge Inventory (NBI) must be load rated and restricted, if necessary

Login to the Bridge Structure Management (BrM) System

To request access to BrM, go the following link, create an account or login to your Okta account.

If you need access to plans or to enter inspections please use the “Request Additional Access” form in BrM and submit to MDT’s Bridge Management System for account set up.

For assistance with access or using the application please see the BrM Navigation Video or contact MDT Bridge Management Support.

Access the Montana Bridge Structure Management System (BrM) – with Bridge Structure Management System.


For more information about permits, please call Motor Carrier Services in Helena at 406-444-7262 or consult the Trucker's Handbook.