Montana Department of Transportation


View the Governor’s Coronavirus Task Force site for more information.

Main Content

Motor Carrier Services

Navigation - Condensed

Effective June 1st, MCS will begin taking walk in customers wishing to obtain permits as well as IRP and IFTA registrations. In order to meet the social distancing requirements, we will limit 2 customers in the office at a time. You may schedule an appointment to work with a License and Permit Tech by calling 406-444-6130. For time and efficiency MCS continues to encourage the use of our online License and Permit system.

Diesel Fuel Users: Please be advised that the National and State Covid-19 Emergency Declaration does not include the ability to use non-taxed diesel fuel (dyed diesel) in motor vehicles traveling on public roads and highways. Using dyed diesel on Montana roadways could be result in a penalty not to exceed $1,000.00 for a first offense and $5,000.00 for a second offense.

MCS Content

Annual Term Advantages

Are you spending a lot of time repeatedly applying for the same permits? There are advantages to getting an Annual Term Permit.

  • Obtain oversize permits for each vehicle annually.
  • Obtain overweight permits for each vehicle annually or quarterly.
  • Save time and money if you haul multiple loads.
  • Avoid the year end rush! Purchase your annual permits before the end of the current calendar year.
  • You may be able to issue your permits online.
  • Maximum dimensions are 15' wide, 95' long, and 15'6" high for an oversize annual term.


Call Motor Carrier Services in Helena at 406-444-7262. We're in the office 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).