Traffic Safety Culture
The Montana Department of Transportation is initiating a multi-year pooled-fund program (see first link below) in partnership with the Center for Health and Safety Culture (CHSC) within the Western Transportation Institute (WTI) at Montana State University. This program is a cooperative effort of participating state DOTs and other organizations vested in traffic safety. The purpose of this effort is to accelerate the development and delivery of tools and services to transform traffic safety culture. The goal of this transformation is to support the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) vision with sustainable traffic safety solutions.
The Toward Zero Deaths (TZD): National Strategy on Highway Safety is a cooperative and coordinated effort amongst state highway safety agencies and stakeholders. The transformation of the traffic safety culture is a primary element of the TZD strategy. Only through the growth of a positive safety culture can significant and sustainable reductions in crash fatalities and serious injuries be achieved. Such transformation would not only support traffic safety goals by reducing risky behaviors and increasing protective behaviors, it would also increase public acceptance of other forms of effective safety programs.
Traffic Safety Culture Transportation Pooled Fund Program
- Phase 1 Program Overview
- Phase 2 Program Overview
- Phase 1: 2015-2019 Federal Fiscal Year Pooled Fund Web Page
- Phase 2: 2020-2024 Federal Fiscal Year Pooled Fund Web Page
Phase 1 shows the red colored states map on the left. Phase 2 shows the green colored map on the right.
Federal Fiscal Year Annual Work Plans
- Driving After Cannabis Use
- Exploring Traffic Safety Citizenship
- Guidance for Evaluating Traffic Safety Culture Strategies
- Guidance on Messaging to Avoid Reactance and Address Moral Disengagement
- Guidance to Promote Workplace Policies and Family Rules to Reduce Cell Phone Use While Driving and Promote Engaged Driving
- Key Information for DUIC Policy
- Proactive Traffic Safety: Empowering Behaviors to Reach our Shared Vision of Zero Deaths and Serious Injuries
- Resources and Tools to Reduce Multi-Risk Driving Behaviors
- A Review of Methods to Change Beliefs
- Traffic Safety Culture Primer
- Traffic Safety Cultures and the Safe Systems Approach
- Understanding Law Enforcement Attitudes and Beliefs about Traffic Safety