Questions, Application, Payment Types, Tips & Presentations / Route / Road Conditions, Draft Permit, FMCSA
Have your user name and password already? Login to ePart
Apply Today for a MT Online ePART Account!
The Montana Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Celtic Systems, developed a new electronic Permitting, Auditing, Registration, and Tax System (ePART).
For further information, and to apply for an online account, please visit
Be sure to read all sections: Welcome; Important; Get started; and the Instructions / Why Apply?
This may take a day; or a few days to have the account set up – depending on what we see. If you believe that you should have received an email from MDT, please check your spam/junk folder as we have noticed that the emails from mt.gov have been going there.
Payment Types accepted!
Electronic Checks; Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover are accepted as Online payments types.
- Electronic Checks have a $1.00 transaction fee added onto the price of the transaction.
- The credit card fee of 2.45% + $.25 is being passed onto the carrier along with the price of the permit / credential. This will be noticed at the time of processing the payment.
- The receipt will print out with your permit after payment has been completed and show the additional fees.
- If the payment receipt is printed from the payment screen, please continue with the permit to finalize.
Need Assistance or Have Questions?
Call Motor Carrier Services in Helena, MT, we are in the office 8 am until 5 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).
- Permitting: 406-444-7262;
- For 32J questions:
- IRP / IFTA: 406-444-2998;
- IFTA Filing and Fuel Tax: 406-444-9276;
- For all other questions: 406-444-6130;
- More contact information
Carriers / Third-Party Online Accounts
- Send an email to or call 406-444-7638 to request a password reset or to report a change in your Email Address. For your protection, we deactivate accounts with invalid email addresses.
ePART Tips and Training Videos
Please see our ePART Helpful Tips for further guidance.
Please view the training presentations on our new ePART Application. Please check back as MDT is working on developing more presentations for your assistance.
A reminder to check your route for your Permits
When you begin issuing your own permits, it is important to remember your responsibility to check construction reports and load-speed restrictions to verify that the route you plan to take does not have unanticipated restrictions.
The purpose behind a draft permit is to allow the customer to see if they can utilize a MT permit before paying for it. This would be beneficial such as when bidding a job to see how much a permit would cost before proceeding. (Please note the cost listed).
To get to a draft permit, the user will work up the permit until the Billing page. At the bottom on of the screen, instead of clicking Proceed to finalize the permit, the user would click the Draft Permit button.
This will bring up a copy of the permit (permit number is VOIDVOID). No amount is shown on the draft permit.
Is your federal information up-to-date?
To avoid unnecessary delays with MCS, please make sure that your information on the FMCSA Motor Carrier Unified Registration System is current. MCS does reference this information when a new account is set-up; and/or periodically as needed. Discrepancies between information provided to MCS and what shows up in the federal system, will slow down MCS processes.
If your business has changed its Company Name, USDOT number, TIN (Tax Identification number), and/or mailing or physical address, please make sure to update your forms on the FMCSA site. After this has been completed, please notify MCS at 406-444-6130 so that MCS can keep your account information updated on our MCS systems.
For further information visit Update FMCSA Motor Carrier ID Report.